Isn’t this the most gorgeous cake? Kyle keeps remarking that it looks as if I painted flowers on it. Believe it or not, this cake is extremely easy to make (although it does make quite a few dishes). It’s fun and people will be very impressed with your baking ability; even though the cake mix comes from a box!
I decided to bake this cake last week for a friend, Mike, leaving town. He’s going all the way to Arizona to start his graduate school career (I’m always incredibly impressed by how many intelligent people I’m friends with). Mike and his girlfriend Méch are people that Kyle and I hang out with all the time and I’m sad that 1/4 of our group is leaving us for one of my favorite states! I baked the cake and Kyle added some frosting decorations as best he could… (see below!)
“Rainbow Swirl Cake”
- White cake mix
- 3 egg whites
- vegetable oil (the amount escapes me – but just check the cake box)
- Food coloring
- Frosting (use store bought or your favorite recipe)
- Prepare cake batter as described on box.
- Divide between 4-6 bowls.
- In each bowl, add food coloring to get a different color of batter. We went for very bright colors!
- Once all the batter is prepared, take turns with each color, putting spoonfulls around different areas of cake pan. Feel free to put spoonfulls of orange on top of globs of teal, etc.
- Once all batter is in the pan, take a knife and slowly swirl the batter. Don’t overdo it – I only did about four lengths of the pan.
- Bake according to cake box’s directions.
- Once cooled, cover with frosting so people get a big surprise when they cut the cake!
It hardly takes any ingredients – most people will have them on hand
Have your friend or significant other lick the bowl clean…
It’s hard not to oooh and awwww over the uncooked batter. It’s gorgeous!
It gets even better once you swirl it…
It stays almost this pretty after being baked
After baking the cake, I had to go to work, so I asked Kyle to finish decorating the cake. Keep in mind that he had never decorated a cake before… I found the end results endearing (although I’m sure he thinks that’s patronizing). At least he did Arizona’s colors!
I mean… pretty great – right?
The best part of the night is where we took this cake! I surprised Kyle by signing us up for a painting class with Méch and Mike (he thought we were just going to their place for casual drinks). It ended up being a blast and we ate way too much cake… and wine!
I hope this cake made you as happy as it made me. Wishing you a relaxing week!